The name of this diet is pretty self-explanatory: the Paleo Diet is based on the foods, presumably eaten by our far-away ancestors, thus trying somewhat to mimic their menu. A great point that many people decided to somehow reconnect with their far-away ancestors (just kidding), and this gives an opportunity to use many recipes, which are suitable for this diet, made up by those people.
Even though the diet is pretty new, it often happens that something new gets divided into different types, genres or alike when it becomes popular, and, unfortunately, the Paleo Diet may experience the same fate. Indeed, now there are several types of the Paleo Diet, yet there is an advantage we got: we are still able to somehow recognize the “mainstream” Paleo Diet, so let’s have a look at it.
Table of Contents
Benefits of the Paleo Diet
There are certain benefits that the Paleo Diet can brag about, and here is just a handful of the reasons why you should consider following this diet:
- It improves your sleep and allows you to fall asleep faster;
- It has an anti-inflammatory effect;
- The diet allows you to keep the blood sugar level stable;
- Gives you an opportunity to work out more efficiently;
- Mitigates the symptoms of your allergies;
- Helps you to burn off the fat stored in your body;
- Helps you to achieve the energy balance throughout the day;
- Makes your skin clean and teeth healthier.
Guidelines for Following the Paleo Diet
Indeed, below you will get to see the lists of recommended and not recommended products. But here you get just an outline of how to stick to this diet, so to say these are the key points that do not change with a type of the Paleo Diet.
- Typically, sticking to this diet means consuming fats in large quantities, animal proteins in moderate quantities, and carbohydrates in low quantities (though sometimes in moderate quantities too). This diet is perhaps the best one for people who hate counting calories or portions of meals: both are not that much recommended in this diet.
- You must eat a great deal of animal proteins, including eggs, pork, poultry, red meat, wild caught shellfish and fish. This diet does not limit, but rather “obliges” you to eat the fatty parts of those products, since all protein meals should contain fats.
- Also, eat a lot of vegetables – no matter whether cooked, frozen, or raw. Just eat them. Follow the ancestors’ spirit.
- Rely on foods with saturated fats, such as butter, coconut oil, duck fat, lard fat, beef and lamb tallow, macadamia oil, avocado oil, and olive oil.
- The amount of fruits and nuts you eat must be low, at maximum moderate.
- Strive to eat mostly or solely grass-fed, pasture-raised meat.
- Forget about legumes, cereal grains, vegetable oils, partly-hydrogenated and completely hydrogenated oils, dairy products except of heavy cream and butter, soft drinks and other drinks that contain added sugar.
- You have to eat whenever you feel hungry and you have to skip the meal when you want to do so. Do not be obliged to follow certain rules that may seem to you inviolable.
- You must do your best in order to eliminate the stress factors in your life – at least as much as possible.
- You must rest at least 8 hours per day. Also, you should do your best in order to wake up naturally, i.e. without an alarm clock, and try to get to used to get to your bed before it got dark.
- Don’t try to exercise too much. Our ancestors didn’t bother themselves with this matter, for sure.
- Take into account that you may lack some of the vitamins and so adding the supplements may be a wise choice. Namely, it is recommended to add probiotics and vitamin D.
- Try to lead as healthy lifestyle as possible.
Products You Must Avoid
Even though some of the prohibited foods were listed above, let’s have a more detailed look at it. As it was mentioned, avoid dairy products (except butter and heavy cream), legumes (lentils, beans, and so on), grains (rye, spelt, barley, wheat, pastas, breads, etc.), and sugary drinks (soft drinks, candies, pastries, table sugar, fruit juices, ice creams and so on). At the same time, trans fats (margarine and other processed foods), highly processed foods, artificial sweeteners (Acelsulframe Potassium, Saccharin, Cyclamates, Sucralose, and Aspartame), and vegetable oils (safflower oil, grapeseed oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, and soybean oil) must be excluded from your menu too. All in all, it is as simple as the following: if it looks like something that was produced in a factory, skip it.
Products You Must Eat
First of all, indeed, this diet about meats and fish with seafood. This allows you to relish in the following products: pork, turkey, chicken, lamb, beef, shellfish, shrimp, haddock, trout, and salmon. At the same time, also include many vegetables (tomatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, kale, broccoli, etc.) and fruits (blueberries, strawberries, avocados, pears, oranges, bananas, apples, and many more) into your menu.
Tubers (turnips, potatoes and sweet potatoes) as well as nuts and seeds (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds) must be not neglected either. Healthy oils and fats as well as salt and spices are recommended too. Regarding the drinks, opt to drink water, the way our ancestors did. Even though it is not quite Paleolithic, drinking coffee and tea (especially the green one) is quite beneficial. Both drinks can boast many healthy benefits and antioxidant effects, so do not hesitate and include them into your menu.
Are there any evidence that the diet actually works?
Of course, and thanks to that evidence it has become so popularized. Compared to the Mediterranean Diet, the Paleo Diet fights the diabetes type 2 much better and some people have even experienced a reversed effect.
Can you explain me in short, what foods should I avoid?
Regarding this diet, it suggests you to avoid inflammatory, toxic, or factory-produced products, while leaving you to rely on nutrient-rich, natural foods.
What else should I do?
It is important, as it was previously said, to optimize the lifestyle. Get enough sun exposure, start getting a healthy, stable sleep, exercise enough but not too much, and reduce or remove at all the stress factors in your life.
Video About Paleo Diet
Other Recommended Diets
- High Protein Diet step by step
- Ketogenic Diet step by step
- Low Carb Diet step by step
- Mediterranean Diet step by step